Tuesday 15 March 2016

Black Bulbul

The Black Bulbul, also called the Himalayan Black Bulbul or the Asian Black Bulbul, is a very elegant bird seen in the Northern part of India. The fully slaty/black feathers are in stark contrast to the sharp orange bill. 
THE HIMALAYAN BLACK BULBUL
Bulbuls are medium sized birds with short rounded wings. this one is upto 23 cms in length. like all Bulbuls, even this one has a distinctive crest. Interestingly, some of these birds have been known to have a white coloured head too, although, I have not been lucky enough to click one yet.
ANOTHER VIEW AND A CLEARER PICTURE
Belonging to the Passerine family, this bird is commonly seen above commonly seen at altitudes upto 3000 m and has a peculiar cat like nasal call combined with gregarious chattering.
TRUST ME, THE MANNER IN WHICH IT PLUCKS BERRIES  IS SHEER  ELEGANCE 

In an area that is chiefly dominated by the Himalayan Bulbul and the Red Vented Bulbul, I see these birds turning up in the sunny days that follow the periods of inclement weather. I must also add that this bird shows better resistance to the vagaries of cold weather than the two previously mentioned counterparts.

A MORE RECENT CLICK WITH  BETTER ZOOM 
In my moments of boredom, when the cloudy conditions do not allow better photography, this elegant bird gives me a the opportunity to observe its behavior and peculiarities. I shall be updating the same as I gain better insight. 
ANOTHER RECENT CLICK
I would end here, following up with another blog in continuation with the series on Birds seen in Jammu region of India. Since I have already covered the Black Throated Tit in a  previous blog In Pursuit Of The Bandit, hence, coming up next would be the Common Tailorbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A brief Intro About Me - Priyamvada Shekhar and Why Travelling is the best education for me?

 I am Priyamvada Shekhar , Daughter of Mrinal Shekhar , I also have a YouTube channel as Priyamvada Shekhar [please do check it out] I am a ...